Silver Contamination in Drinking Water

While silver’s bactericidal impact has been known since ancient times, silver particles in drinking water can pose serious health risks.

Silver is used as a water bacteriostatic in some carbon water filters. The silver is to inhibit the growth of bacteria on the surfaces of these carbon particles. Such filters tend to leach out trace levels of silver into the effluent water. When ingested silver will remain indefinitely in tissue — particularly skin, eyes and mucous membranes. Skin discoloration (argyria) is a visible cosmetic effect related to silver ingestion.  Bacteriostatic filters using silver should be followed by additional treatment such as reverse osmosis to remove any silver that passes from the bacteriostatic (silver) carbon filter. 

Treatment Methods include Reverse osmosis systems, Distillation and Strong acid cation exchange.



Learn more about well water issues and information at and more about reverse osmosis at


Recycle your used water filters the easy way at


Recycle your used water filters the easy way at