Mercury Contamination in Drinking Water

In its inorganic form, mercury occurs abundantly in the environment.  Mercury can readily combine with chlorine, sulfur, and other elements that can be transported in water and occur in soil. Mercuric chloride is used in photography and as a topical antiseptic and disinfectant, wood preservative, and fungicide.  Mercuric sulfide is used to color paints and is one of the red coloring agents used in tattoo dyes.

Possible symptoms of methylmercury poisoning may include: Loss of peripheral vision; "Pins and needles" feelings, usually in the hands, feet, and around the mouth; Lack of coordination of movements; Impairment of speech, hearing, walking; and/or Muscle weakness

Mercury can be reduced in water with distillation, reverse osmosis systems and ion exchange. Also effective are activated carbon filtration products, such as solid carbon block and precoat adsorption filters.



Learn more about well water issues and information at and more about reverse osmosis at


Recycle your used water filters the easy way at


Recycle your used water filters the easy way at